• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

made power of attorney without my consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

margiek

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I received a letter a couple days ago stating that I had been made power of attorney.
The person giving the power has been given a prision term of 8mths. for parole violation, he is only an aquaintance of mine.
I met him by phone conversation only through my ex-sister in law and have never physically met him,his mother is 81 yrs. old and is now living alone, my ex-sister in law left him and moved somewhere in Flordia.
He currently is in a Florida jail & his mother lives in Alabama, his mother owns the home.
The power of attorney letter states: that he has given me power of attorney over his affairs and his mothers, if his mother passes away, or if something should happen to the both of them I am entitled to all his possesion's, and his mothers. (THIS IS JUST PLAIN NUTS)?

1st: I new nothing of this as he is only an aquaintance & I don't want to be power of attorney I feel this is wrong I really don't know him or his mother that well. And I'm sure his mother know's nothing of this.

2nd: How can this be done in jail without my knowledge or consent & is this legal?

PLEASE HELP!

If this is not enough info and you need more let me know.

Last edited:

Litigation!

margiek said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia
I received a letter a couple days ago stating that I had been made power of attorney.
The person giving the power has been given a prision term of 8mths. for parole violation, he is only an aquaintance of mine.
I met him by phone conversation only through my ex-sister in law and have never physically met him,his mother is 81 yrs. old and is now living alone, my ex-sister in law left him and moved somewhere in Flordia.
He currently is in a Florida jail & his mother lives in Alabama, his mother owns the home.
The power of attorney letter states: that he has given me power of attorney over his affairs and his mothers, if his mother passes away, or if something should happen to the both of them I am entitled to all his possesion's, and his mothers. (THIS IS JUST PLAIN NUTS)?

1st: I new nothing of this as he is only an aquaintance & I don't want to be power of attorney I really don't
know him or his mother that well
I'm sure his mother knows nothing of this.
2nd: How can this be done in jail without my consent & is it legal?

My response:

Just return the POA to him in shreds, along with a note saying, "Thanks, but no thanks."

IAAL

BelizeBreeze

margiek said:
1st: I new nothing of this as he is only an aquaintance & I don't want to be power of attorney I really don't
know him or his mother that well
I'm sure his mother knows nothing of this.
You don't have to know anything about him or the situation. You can either decide to accept such or not.

If this is not enough info and you need more let me know.[/QUOTE]
OF course it's legal. And your consent is not required.

margiek

Litigation! said:
My response:

Just return the POA to him in shreds, along with a note saying, "Thanks, but no thanks."

IAAL
Would'nt he have the original?
I think your idea is good* However I think I should draw up a letter stating that, and have it notarized
then sent back to him.

Let me know if you agree?

margiek

BelizeBreeze said:
You don't have to know anything about him or the situation. You can either decide to accept such or not.

OF course it's legal. And your consent is not required.[/QUOTE]

As stated above do I need to notify him in a legal manner, such as by a notary?

I want to make sure I have coverd myself legally.

Litigation!

margiek said:
Would'nt he have the original?
I think your idea is good* However I think I should draw up a letter stating that, and have it notarized
then sent back to him.

Let me know if you agree?

My response:

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. The fact is, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Just do as I advised.

IAAL

margiek

Litigation! said:
My response:

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. The fact is, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Just do as I advised.

IAAL
Thank you for your advise, just wanted to be sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">