• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

may lose our land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYfemale

We are in NY state. My grandmother recently has been put in a nursing home at the lovely cost of $6500 per month. My grandfather is slowly dying of leukemia and is still at home with the help of Hospice ( a wonderful group). He has to give up $50,000 plus half of all of his assets in order for Medicare or Medicaid to pay (not sure which). One of his assets is our land, which is supposed to be ours when he dies. Now, unfortunately, we dont have a clue where we stand legally and are worried about losing our land, on which we have a mobile home and a huge addition. We have lived here for 14 years. The land is in his name, as are the taxes.

NYfemale

might lose our land

So what will happen then? Will Medicaid sieze it? Is there a chance we can buy it?

Last edited:

pojo2

NYfemale said:
Is there a chance we can buy it?
Perhaps, but do not expect to pay 50 dollars for it and it is worth many thousands of dollars. Medicaid will take a close look at any such transactions.

Dandy Don

You need to be consulting with an attorney who is experienced with Medicare/Medicaid matters to find out your legal options to protect his assets.

He may need to sell the land to pay for his future care, but let's hope it doesn't come down to that.

Jen99nm

Check into this but, I think If you have your grandfather signs over the land to you and you start paying the taxes this may help both of you get it all taken care of. You may also conceder getting an account to put the $50,000 dollars into that is under your name. That way you can pay for your grandmother_s nursing home from that money and help pay any expenses that may occur. Make sure if you do this you keep accurate documentation of what every last cent is being used for though to help protect you from greedy relatives after he passes on. We did that when my grandpa passed away, my father went and paid up front for the funeral expenses for my grandma and youngest uncle from the money my grandpa left. Then my grandma qualified for Medicare or Medicaid which ever it is. My father ended up having to get power of attorney to do this but check into it. I hope this helps, and I am sorry for what you are going through I know how hard it is.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Jen99nm said:
Check into this but, I think If you have your grandfather signs over the land to you and you start paying the taxes this may help both of you get it all taken care of. You may also conceder getting an account to put the $50,000 dollars into that is under your name. That way you can pay for your grandmother_s nursing home from that money and help pay any expenses that may occur. Make sure if you do this you keep accurate documentation of what every last cent is being used for though to help protect you from greedy relatives after he passes on. We did that when my grandpa passed away, my father went and paid up front for the funeral expenses for my grandma and youngest uncle from the money my grandpa left. Then my grandma qualified for Medicare or Medicaid which ever it is. My father ended up having to get power of attorney to do this but check into it. I hope this helps, and I am sorry for what you are going through I know how hard it is.
You have just advised this poster to commit fraud.

NYfemale

Still need advice...re: may lose our land

This is how it looks now. Grandfather passed away last May. All of his bills were paid in full at the time. He left me whatever was left after all bills were paid. Here is where it gets tricky. He left me the land we live on, however, it was paid for from a bank account with both my grandfather and grandmother's names on it. Being that my grandmother is still alive and remains in the nursing home, all of my grandfather's assets now became hers. Two of her children later became her guardians, leaving them in control of all of my grandmother's assets. A year has passed and my grandmother has received more than her fair share of assets, according to the lawyer that was appointed for my grandmother when my grandfather first passed. What happens to the remaining assets? It will be up to her guardian's? Thank you for any advice.

:(

seniorjudge

I am not clear on something.

Has there been a probate estate on grandpa?

Has there been a court appointing someone as grandma's guardian?

NYfemale

replying

Yes, it is still in probate. Taking forever. Has been so since last June. Yes, the court appointed a guardian for my grandmother. Two of her children are the guardian's now, appointed by the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">