• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicare Property Seizure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MacTavish

Suppose a widowed parent 84 years old whose son has been living with and caring for her in her house for over 15 years and the parent must now be confined to a nursing home for proper care. The property remains in the parent's name having never been transferred or deeded to the son.

Is the property subject to the Medicare asset assessment or is there a waiver or exemption excluding the property from her assets since the son has made the property his home for such a long a period of time while looking after his aging mother? If so, how is something like this handled or addressed? Is there a gov't or other agency that one can call to get an explanation?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

edit: This is in Pennsylvania.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: Is there a waiver or exemption excluding the property from her assets since the son has made the property his home for such a long a period of time while looking after his aging mother?

A: No. They must go by what is on the record (i.e., written deed).

anteater

You did not mention your state (as the template requests). But contact the state agency that administers Medicaid in the parent's state. The nursing home would probably know.

I don't know Medicaid very well, but there are provisions that provide some protection to a caretaker child. And I don't believe that the 2006 changes in he law made any changes to them.

BlondiePB

...Is the property subject to the Medicare asset assessment ...
No. The folks at Medicare don't care how much your assests are to qualify. Medicare coverage for nursing home care is very limited and must have a qualified admission to a nursing home.

(Note to Anteater: Arkie's been baiting you with questions.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">