• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medigap Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluewater

What is the name of your state? Florida

(Admin: If you can recommend another forum where this question should be posted, please advise)

I am a current resident of Florida, former resident of California.

I have a Medigap Insurance Policy - Level F, still with a California insurer (working to switch to Florida insurer). Among other things, Level F is supposed to pay for the annual Part B deductible.

Can my Medigap insurer refuse to honor the waiver of the Part B annual deductible if I use out of state doctors?

My insurer said that although I have the Level F policy, they will only honor the waiver of the Part B deductible if I have used doctors in the state of California who have directly contracted with them. In other words, I submitted my first claim of the year for around $150 - a doctor's visit, not an "in-hospital" claim. The claim was processed as follows: $5 was disallowed, $25 was paid, and $120 was "applied to my deductible". Therefore, I will be responsible for paying the $120. When I questioned the insurer, "What deductible?? Level F covers my annual Part B deductible", my insurer replied, "no, we would have paid the $120 only if you had used a California doctor who has directly contracted with us."

Shouldn't the Part B deductible be covered no matter where my medical service occurs? BTW, my plan is not an HMO, I can choose whatever doctor I like ...What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

BlondiePB

bluewater said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

(Admin: If you can recommend another forum where this question should be posted, please advise)

I am a current resident of Florida, former resident of California.

I have a Medigap Insurance Policy - Level F, still with a California insurer (working to switch to Florida insurer). Among other things, Level F is supposed to pay for the annual Part B deductible.

Can my Medigap insurer refuse to honor the waiver of the Part B annual deductible if I use out of state doctors?

My insurer said that although I have the Level F policy, they will only honor the waiver of the Part B deductible if I have used doctors in the state of California who have directly contracted with them. In other words, I submitted my first claim of the year for around $150 - a doctor's visit, not an "in-hospital" claim. The claim was processed as follows: $5 was disallowed, $25 was paid, and $120 was "applied to my deductible". Therefore, I will be responsible for paying the $120. When I questioned the insurer, "What deductible?? Level F covers my annual Part B deductible", my insurer replied, "no, we would have paid the $120 only if you had used a California doctor who has directly contracted with us."

Shouldn't the Part B deductible be covered no matter where my medical service occurs? BTW, my plan is not an HMO, I can choose whatever doctor I like ...What is the name of your state?
Yes, this is the wrong section for your insurance question. I suggest you talk with a supervisor of your insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">