• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misuse of Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rustydog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I gave a once trusted friend a general broad power of attorney to have a custom built motorcycle titled on my behalf. He also has physical possession of the motorcycle. Since I issued the POA he has totally changed his attitude towards me and won't return any of my phone calls. I have revoked the POA by certified mail and demanded the return of the motorcycle. It's been a week since I revoked the POA and he has failed to respond or return any of my calls. I fear the worst and believe he may have used the POA for something other than what I intended. I am about to retain an attorney to try and retrieve the bike. I have informed him of this. My questions are (1) should I contact law enforcement for help and what can I expect from them?, and (2) What help if any can I expect from Florida courts? Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I gave a once trusted friend a general broad power of attorney to have a custom built motorcycle titled on my behalf. He also has physical possession of the motorcycle. Since I issued the POA he has totally changed his attitude towards me and won't return any of my phone calls. I have revoked the POA by certified mail and demanded the return of the motorcycle. It's been a week since I revoked the POA and he has failed to respond or return any of my calls. I fear the worst and believe he may have used the POA for something other than what I intended. I am about to retain an attorney to try and retrieve the bike. I have informed him of this. My questions are (1) should I contact law enforcement for help and what can I expect from them?, and (2) What help if any can I expect from Florida courts? Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Read Chpt. 709 of Florida Statutes here www.flsenate.gov/statutes

While you're at the statutes page, look up theft under crimes.

Dandy Don

I was looking for further clarification of the circumstances as to why a POA would even be needed in such a situation as this. Why can't he get title on his own without anyone else's involvement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">