• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mom needs help with being released from car loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigddaddy

What is the name of your state? New Jersey! My mother in-law put a truck loan in her name because my father in law told her to sign the documents and the dealer ship said she could because it was household income even though she did not work. The truck was purchased in september of 2007. My father in law recently passed away. He went to the doctors on Jan. 17, 2007 for a cold as he thought and it turned out to be Lung Cancer that had spread to the brain and caused multilple tumers and passed away on February 17, 2007 exactly one month later. He had no retirement except his Social Security and my mother in law is struggling to pay her bills even with our help. We tried to get the dealer ship to take it back and call it even but they want to auction it off and hold her responsible for the difference even though they ripped them off, price wise charged $25000.00 and change for a 2004 Silverado when loan is paid off it will have cost $37000.00. I believe he wasn't thinking clearly as he didn't even think to ask how much the interest rate was.He has never entered into a contract without my wife looking it over first. We need to know if anyone can tell us what her legal rights are in a situation like this. If we have to hire an attorney I will but my mother in law needs my money at this time. My wife is fighting with his insurance company to pay his medical bills because they feel S.S. should pay but he didn't have part B, he only had part A, because he was still working, he would have turned 66 in April. I thank anyone and all whom take the time out to read this and give their advise because we are in desperate need of legal help.

momm2500

as for the health insurance, if he was gainfully employed and his employer had more than 20 employees....then the health insurance through the employer is considered primary over medicare!!! make sure that you tell the insurance that TEFRA/DEFRA applies here and they are the primary health insurance over medicare!

If mother-in-law is not employed, she needs to contact Social Security right away to be eligible for benefits.

as far as the loan on the truck, i am not well versed in that area and can not help you there. sorry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">