• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moms nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA.
I'm not sure this is in the correct area but here goes. My mother who has signs of dementia, but not yet diagnosed, went for a reverse mortgage a year ago with out my knowledge. She took a lump sum:eek: then proceeded to spend $50,000.00 of it on bills and mail order junk. Someone then sold her two annuities for $20,000.00 & $100,000.00 that mature in 2018, she is 70. She can't remember any of the details of the transaction and tried to get a second reverse mortgage, that's how I found out about the first one. She is incurring $700.00 +- a month interest against equity and is in negative equity now with the housing slump. Can she just walk away and keep the $120,000.00 or will she have to pay back the difference? Second question, She is unable to afford staying in her home and mentally unable to care for herself, How will all this affect her being placed into some sort of care facility? I'm her only living son and have POAWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

You should be discussing this with a certified financial planner and/or a business law attorney.

She may be able to cash the annuities in now but there might be a small financial penalty for doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">