• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother Hospitalized with delusions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHarding

Mother lives in California, Daugher lives in Washington State

My mother recently had some heart problems and was hospitalized on July 4, 2006. While hospitalized she became delusional and unable to walk or make decessions on her own. She was released July 16, 2006 and I flew down from Spokane to visit her and she was completely unable to take care of herself or her husband that has Alzheimers. She had to be hopitalized again on July 20, 2006. The doctors cannot explain why she cannot walk anymore and why she is having delusions. She currently is in a mental health facility. The doctors have been trying to adjust her medications hoping this will help, and so far she has not improved. They keep talking about sending her to a nursing home. I do not want that until they can tell me what is wrong with her.

I am currently the payee for her Social Security check.

My question is: What do I need to do legally so that I can take over her affairs and make descisions for her? My mother does not have any money with the exception of SS and a small pension. She is 65 years old. She has a lot of credit card debt. The only thing she owns is a mobile home.

If she is placed in a nursing home there will be a $1,000 per month co-pay with Medical. This will not leave enough money to pay her bills and mobile home space rent. I do not want her to loose her mobile home. If her illness is perminant her mobile home will need to be sold. I want to be the one who makes of all her decisions for her.

She has a son who is a flake financially and has not visited her since she has been hopitalized and owes her some money. And she has a brother who is equally a looser, over 60 and doesn't work and a big rip off.

I live in Washington State with my family and am very responsible. I have been calling the hospital daily and social worker trying to direct her care and make sure they continue to try to diagnose her.

I have left a message for the doctor and social for advice on becomming her Conservator.

What else do I need to do to negotiate with the credit card companies so that they will not go after her one and only asset, the mobile home. And what do I need if we have to sell to sell her mobile home and car, and to make all other decisions for her?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">