• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother's nursing home bill - Am I liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yogagirl2u

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I live in Oklahoma. Mom has been in a nursing home for over a year. She is blind and unable to get up by herself, has a colstomy and a huge hernia and inoperable because extensive heart problems. She is on very heavy pain meds and has been for over 3 years. She is 93.

She was denied Medicaid. She owns no property. Her money is gone. But she paid me to take care of her, for 2 1/2 years, and she gave my kids some money too. All of us spent the money she gave us and have no money to give back. and they are saying "She did not recieve equal value for the resources she transferred to someone else.

DHS said that the nursing home can't kick her out but I am liable for her bill. Is that true? Can I be held responsible for my mom's nursing home bill? I do have POA.

Last edited:

candg918

I think that it would help the attorneys give you advice if you could tell why Medicaid was denied; for example, does she own property or did she transfer property in the last couple of years.

BlondiePB

DHS said that the nursing home can't kick her out
If the nursing home bill is not being paid, the nursing home will send mom/you a 30 day notice for mom to leave.
but I am liable for her bill. Is that true? Can I be held responsible for my mom's nursing home bill? I do have POA.
Who signed the contract?

Ozark_Sophist

Look back provisions examine five years of transactions. If someone disposes of assets (property or cash) without receiving equal value in return, Medicaid will not kick in until the difference in value of disposed assets or cash is made up. This protects the people of the state from people who fraudulently attempt to hide or conserve assets and instead make the people of state responsible for long term care expenses. Medicaid will not pay anything until the penalty period expires.

This is fraud. The lookback provisions are expected to save taxpayers $2.4 billion over a five year period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">