• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My aunt turned my mother in to APS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaermann

What is the name of your state? OK

My mother has been living nextdoor to and caring for my grandmother for almost fifteen years now and my aunt has done as little as possible to help. (My grandmother is 86 and is visited weekly by a home health nurse, but is still in great health for her age) My aunt and my mother have never really gotten along and my mom has pretty much made peace with this, sometimes letting years pass without them speaking. About a week ago, my mom got a call from Adult Protective Services telling her that her sister has turned her in for a)siphoning gasoline from my grandmother's vehicle and b)cashing and spending my grandmother's Social Security check. Just to give you a little background, my grandma and mom share responsibility of taking care of a 200-acre farm and cattle operation, and my mother and grandma have shared a bank account since my grandfather passed, almost 10 years ago. My mom would never steal from anyone, much less my grandmother, so in other words, both accusations are absurd.

After visiting my grandmother, APS called mom yesterday. Just like a scolding father, they told my mother that the strained relationship between her and her sister was part of the problem in the situation contributing to my grandmother's decline in health, and that the next complaint they hear about this situation will cause them to take my grandmother from her home, sell her property and to take her to a nursing home where we would not be able to visit her. Dying alone and in a nursing home has always been one of my grandmother's worst fears, and I know that she would not do well there. We have a quit claim deed that is almost ten years old now, and they are telling us that the state can override the quit claim deed. I'm so frustrated and scared for my grandma....please help.

Last edited:

ellencee

Have you spoken with your grandmother about her meeting with APS?
That's a bad idea and could lead to APS's returning. My advice: stay out of it.

Additional advice: If grandmother is mentally competent, she needs to appoint a durable power of attorney to manage her affairs and a healthcare proxy to make health/medical decisions on her behalf. By doing this, she will lessen the opportunities for the aunt to interfere and/or cause trouble in the future. Mom needs to speak with an elder law attorney and learn what she should be doing to protect herself.

As for the quit claim deed: I don't think the state can overturn a 10 year-old transaction. Had it been only 3 years, the state may have had a way to do so.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">