• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my greedy money hungry brother is trying to steal money from my grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaulMiller26

What is the name of your state? florida, my brother is in his early 40's and I am in my late 20's so he has a bit more knowledge over me (he is also a computer wiz and very MONEY MINDED) but, to make this story short, my mother is a great mother and has slight depression problems from horrible things that she has been threw during her 62 years, and my 1/2 brother (her son from prev. and drunkin' and abusive marrg) has told her that she is no longer his mother because *but not limited too* (from what he thinks) is that my mother gave my 87 y/o grandmother the idea to sell her $300,000 condo in West Palm Beach and live with her, and have a loving daughter to be there 24/7 to help her as much as she could possibly need. Well my 1/2 bro, thought that Condo was a sure thing for him and his wife to inheiret after grandma dies, well now that its gone my bro has gone insane with rage and has (MALICIOUSLY) called the police on my mother saying she abuses my grandma, and even had their electric shut off, claiming to be the electric account holder (just to spite) hurting both my heartbroken mother and elder grandmother. he has been trying to get the power of attorney away from my mother and into his evil clutches, and it has been tearing my mother apart, is there any possibility he can steal the POA from my mother? and control her Bank account? my mother is in the will and I am as well, as are my sister and my bro but all her estate is to be dealt by my mother presently under current WILL. BUT! I am scared he is going to have my mother thrown in jail for something that he makes up and this is his goal, he needs/wants to get my mother away from my grandmas $$$( which what he thinks is millions) 300+ K is "ALL she really has left" , and that is enough for her to live off of should she live another 10+years. is there anything we can do to keep him away a little, or at least fight back? My father is another reason they hate my mother, because they hate him and it kills them to even think that my father will see some of my Grandmas $$ also. there is quite a bit more to this story obviously, but this is as much as I can write - right now, but PLEASE HELP!!! i just want to see my mother safe and not scared of her GREEDY and EVIL basterd of a son.....thanks Paul in FLA

Dandy Don

Mother needs to ask grandmother if she has given POA to anyone else, but she probably hasn't. You are right to be concerned about the situation but you are overly worried about nothing. If he tries to do something against your mother, she should be prepared to file a restraining order against him with the police department.

PaulMiller26

Thanks for the reply, first off tho, the restraining order will keep him away, but he has alot of computer skills and has been trying to access my fathers computer (which contains much of her Info and account # and Info in it), and I think he is sneeky and sly enough to get her sign a new POA and eliminate my mother from any say in her WILL. and my grandmother is in the early stages of alzheimers and dimensia, so she is no longer fit to make her own decisions and him having POA is certainly not in her best interest. I just want to know how to keep him from having any possible chance of getting POA or take advantage of her senile mind and screw her and my mother from my grandmas living money and Inheiretance for me, my mother and my sister, which isnt much but more then he deserves.....bottom line is, how do i keep my mothers own evil son from stealing his grandmas money and harassing the family and my Grandma by trying to trick my grandma into doing something stupid and catastrophic to her life and future......

pojo2

bottom line is

Unless there is someone with her 24/7 you can not prevent him possibly accessing funds.

Perhaps mom and g-mother should begin to think about having bank accounts and readily available monies protected by requiring dual or even triple signatures to withdraw funds.

Mom could also go to court to seek guardianship meaning she would then have control over assets, health issues etc.

Spend a few hundred dollars to go to an Estate Atty and allow him/her to explain actions to prevent this from happening.

Dandy Don

You can't just go on "what if's"--you don't even know for sure IF he has POA or not. Are you able to monitor her bank accounts to see how much goes in or out?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">