• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Names on house deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BarbL219

What is the name of your state? New York -- Can anyone help me with this? My name is on the house deed of a dead relative with my brother. If one wants to sell the property and the other doesn't - how does that work? The deceased relative is not on the deed at all. Just my brother and myself. Can one person force the other to either sell or buy them out? thank you.

seniorjudge

BarbL219 said:
What is the name of your state? New York -- Can anyone help me with this? My name is on the house deed of a dead relative with my brother. If one wants to sell the property and the other doesn't - how does that work? The deceased relative is not on the deed at all. Just my brother and myself. Can one person force the other to either sell or buy them out? thank you.
Google is your friend.

new york state partition lawsuit real estate

If it comes down to a partition lawsuit, set aside a minimum of $20K and three years of your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">