• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In need of assistance! No living will.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Parishj2013

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana. My grandparents both passed away within 5 and 1/2 weeks of each other while they were supporting me going to school. They left me their dog with no will and no insurance instructions. Now I am working and also attending college while taking care of their house and pet. My aunt's and uncles spoke about getting lawyers but never did and then came and took all the food, toilet paper, and practically everything to try to force me out but I was the caretaker. I have no driver's license and this house is very near my school so I walk. I have not been given an eviction notice and it has been almost two months but they are trying to kick me out verbally. Can I speak with a lawyer about maintaining the bills and continuing to live here?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana. My grandparents both passed away within 5 and 1/2 weeks of each other while they were supporting me going to school. They left me their dog with no will and no insurance instructions. Now I am working and also attending college while taking care of their house and pet. My aunt's and uncles spoke about getting lawyers but never did and then came and took all the food, toilet paper, and practically everything to try to force me out but I was the caretaker. I have no driver's license and this house is very near my school so I walk. I have not been given an eviction notice and it has been almost two months but they are trying to kick me out verbally. Can I speak with a lawyer about maintaining the bills and continuing to live here?
The owner of the property has the right to evict you per Indiana law; what is it you hope to attain?

Parishj2013

The owner of the property has the right to evict you per Indiana law; what is it you hope to attain?
The house is paid off. There was no instruction of who the house went to. I was just currently here and still I am. And truly I just want to continue living here and going to school/working until I can move. The family is offering me no tenancy now but when I was picking my grandmother up off the floor at night they loved me. There's 5 aunts and uncles and no executor was ever made through the court.

FlyingRon

The term is just a "will." A "living will" is another name for an advance medical directive. It doesn't have anything to do with things that occur after the person passes. Whatever service you did for your grandmother or what she was doing for you does not give you any ownership rights in the house. Your status of "caretaker" is not any legal one. You are nothing but a tenant at this point. And no, you can't get any rights just by "paying bills."

That being said, your aunts and uncles don't have any rights to evict you or even dispose of any property either at this point. The house is no more theirs than yours at this point. Probate will need to be open and then that will transfer the property to the respective heirs. You don't mention where your parent (who is the child of the grandmother) is? Is that person still alive? If so, you're not getting any part of this. I they are not, then you're only entitled to the fractional share and then only after probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">