• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AaronAX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I was involved in a near death car crash on 5/6/04. I suffered a severe traumatic brain injury in it among other injuries. My parents had me sign a Power of Attorney at the time, not telling me that I had to check with her first before I could do things. I went and graduated from College and want to leave and become my own person, but they threaten me of taking me to court if I want to. I am wondering if I am capable to have my own life now, how could the Power of Attorney still be in effect? I was very confused at the time and not mentally capable to understand what signing the form would entail. Would I have a problem nullifying the Power of Attorney if we did go to court? ANY input would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I was involved in a near death car crash on 5/6/04. I suffered a severe traumatic brain injury in it among other injuries. My parents had me sign a Power of Attorney at the time, not telling me that I had to check with her first before I could do things. I went and graduated from College and want to leave and become my own person, but they threaten me of taking me to court if I want to. I am wondering if I am capable to have my own life now, how could the Power of Attorney still be in effect? I was very confused at the time and not mentally capable to understand what signing the form would entail. Would I have a problem nullifying the Power of Attorney if we did go to court? ANY input would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
A power of attorney wouldn't allow your parents to prevent you from moving. A consent to a conservatorship would be a different matter. You will need to know for sure what you signed before you can really get valid advice on the matter.

LdiJ

A power of attorney wouldn't allow your parents to prevent you from moving. A consent to a conservatorship would be a different matter. You will need to know for sure what you signed before you can really get valid advice on the matter.
I agree. If it was a POA then you could revoke it simply by putting it in writing that you are revoking it, and again, it would not stop you from moving even if you did not revoke it. However if you consented to more than just a POA that changes things.

Dandy Don

Did you give them a Medical Power of Attorney (authorizing them to make decisions about your health care) or a Financial Power of Attorney (that gave them the power to manage/handle your financial affairs)?

How old are you? If you are an adult you can give them a statement saying that the power of attorney is now revoked/cancelled, effective immediately.

Have you recovered enough from your injuries so that your physician would evaluate that your mental competency now is good enough to allow you to live an independent life?

quincy

Did you give them a Medical Power of Attorney (authorizing them to make decisions about your health care) or a Financial Power of Attorney (that gave them the power to manage/handle your financial affairs)?

How old are you? If you are an adult you can give them a statement saying that the power of attorney is now revoked/cancelled, effective immediately.

Have you recovered enough from your injuries so that your physician would evaluate that your mental competency now is good enough to allow you to live an independent life?
Two things, Dandy Don. One is a reminder to look at posting dates. This thread is from November of last year.

The second is to read posts. AaronAX said he graduated from college.

Unless AaronAX graduated from college at age 17, he would be an adult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">