• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need to petition conservatorship for mentally ill adult brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roses0415

What is the name of your state? I'm in Florida, brother is in TN

Hi,

Long story short, my mother is neglecting care for my 31 yr mentally ill brother as well as mom's mentally ill 60+ yr half brother. <Abusive mental issues boyfriend of mom abuses my brother, they don't get dental or medical care for him, keep him in bedroom playing video games, and house in infested with bugs, dirt and stinch from LOTS of dogs and cats in house). Dept for elderly abuse visited them today and called me... she advised I get conservatorship. WHen I called Memphis clerk of court, the suggested I get an attorney.

I'd like to help my brother by having him here in FL with me... but am limited on my ability to go to Memphis because of my 3 small children and having an in-home daycare business.

All attempts to advise my mother on how to step up her responsibilies went on "deaf ears" for the past 15 years. Mom is not good at making changes, persuing options, or anything that calls for her to change her daily (simple) routine.

Thanks!

Mary

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? I'm in Florida, brother is in TN

Hi,

Long story short, my mother is neglecting care for my 31 yr mentally ill brother as well as mom's mentally ill 60+ yr half brother. <Abusive mental issues boyfriend of mom abuses my brother, they don't get dental or medical care for him, keep him in bedroom playing video games, and house in infested with bugs, dirt and stinch from LOTS of dogs and cats in house). Dept for elderly abuse visited them today and called me... she advised I get conservatorship. WHen I called Memphis clerk of court, the suggested I get an attorney.

I'd like to help my brother by having him here in FL with me... but am limited on my ability to go to Memphis because of my 3 small children and having an in-home daycare business.

All attempts to advise my mother on how to step up her responsibilies went on "deaf ears" for the past 15 years. Mom is not good at making changes, persuing options, or anything that calls for her to change her daily (simple) routine.

Thanks!

Mary
Hire an attorney in TN to petition for conservatorship & go to the court hearing. Should you be appointed conservator, you must have permission of the court to move your ward to FL and transfer the conservatorship to FL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">