• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No prolong life -- No Agent on Advance Directive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SWIMteam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

I'm preparing an Advance Directive for myself and had a question... I am choosing not to prolong life, and I was wondering if I was required to designate an Agent to execute the Advance Directive?

I see no reason to do so. I'm basically asking not to keep me alive, what decisions could an Agent possible need to make? All decisions are already made in the Advance Directive template I downloaded from the State.

Can someone confirm that I need not designate an Agent on my Advance Directive?

Thank you.

xylene

There are like a jillion and one "wobblers" that you so need a agent for.

Hydration? When? You haven't thought this through AT ALL.

SWIMteam

You haven't thought this through AT ALL.
Duh. That is why I'm asking questions. I may be wrong, but I believe that is why this forum exists, so I can get some FreeAdvice from people that know better than I do, and have been professionally trained on such matters, and have likely seen thousands of these. Whereas, I'm just an individual that have seen an 8-page template for the first time.

Plus, I don't even know what kind of questions to be asking to maximize the benefit(s) of having an Advance Directive. I barely started jotting down notes to discuss with my doctor.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Duh. That is why I'm asking questions. I may be wrong, but I believe that is why this forum exists, so I can get some FreeAdvice from people that know better than I do, and have been professionally trained on such matters, and have likely seen thousands of these. Whereas, I'm just an individual that have seen an 8-page template for the first time.

Plus, I don't even know what kind of questions to be asking to maximize the benefit(s) of having an Advance Directive. I barely started jotting down notes to discuss with my doctor.
It's not smart to be snippy to the nice volunteers, is it? You could end up waiting around while we help others.

AdoptADog

The doctors will not make all the little decisions that go along with it. Dying is not so easy as unplugging you and you slip away. You someone appointed. The doctors are employees, the need a boss.

quincy

Are you a moderator of this forum Silverplum?
Silverplum is one of several of the long-time forum members who work hard to keep this forum running. That is one reason why Silverplum and others ARE long-time forum members.

None of the long-time members react favorably to visitors to this site who come asking for help in answering their legal questions, and advice in handling their legal concerns, if these visitors are not pleasant to those with the knowledge and ability to help them.

If you want something from someone, it is always best to be nice.

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

I'm preparing an Advance Directive for myself and had a question... I am choosing not to prolong life, and I was wondering if I was required to designate an Agent to execute the Advance Directive?

I see no reason to do so. I'm basically asking not to keep me alive, what decisions could an Agent possible need to make? All decisions are already made in the Advance Directive template I downloaded from the State.

Can someone confirm that I need not designate an Agent on my Advance Directive?

Thank you.
"Need" to designate an Agent? No. But, who do you think will enforce the directive? Most of the time such things come up in an emergent situation. Car accident, heart attack, stroke and you are taken to the hospital. They will be looking for someone to make decisions and the agent shows up with the health care power of attorney and advanced directive. The local hospital is not going to start a file on you to hold the directive just in case you need it. Also, there is the timing issue. Without a designated agent, they won't know if there is a superseding order out there or if you changed your mind.

The bottom line is that all resources say to not rely solely on the directive and to talk about your wishes with those around you. Spouses, siblings, parents, children and that one uncle you have that has an entirely different concept on end of life issues than you because, if one of them starts raising a stink, most doctors will not blithely follow order. No matter what the statutes might say. Most situations are more flexibly defined than one might think and it is better to have an "interpreter" of your wishes as an agent. But, if there is no one you would trust to be your health care proxy, you can stick with just a directive without the health care power of attorney.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">