• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nullify Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PnTFinney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My Mom is 74 and just bought a house. My sister "tricked" her into signing her as a power of attorney. How does she go about nullifying it?

anteater

I'm not certain what buying a house and granting a POA have to do with one another. But, to revoke the power:

IC 30-5-10-1
Revocation of power; record
Sec. 1. (a) Except as otherwise stated in the power of attorney, an executed power of attorney may be revoked only by a written instrument of revocation that:
(1) identifies the power of attorney revoked; and
(2) is signed by the principal.
(b) A revocation under subsection (a) is not effective unless the attorney in fact or other person has actual knowledge of the revocation.
(c) If an executed power of attorney was recorded under IC 30-5-3-3, the revocation of the power of attorney must:
(1) be recorded; and
(2) reference the book and page or instrument number where the instrument creating the power of attorney is recorded.

PnTFinney

Thx

Thank you for your response:)
I am not sure I understand all of it but I now have a starting place and will consult with an attorney locally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">