• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nursing Home Bill After Father's Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

despec

What is the name of your state? OH

Hello to all,

My father passed away this past Saturday and left behind a $13K bill from a nursing home. Kaiser insurance decided to drop him and their 20% responsibility when they deemed my father "could not be rehabilitated" when he first went into the home. Medicare was able to pay 80% of his 100 day stay there, but nothing more. My father and brother were living on his SS check and small pension fund. My brother was his caregiver and POA at the time.

Is my brother at all responsible for this bill? He was only his POA, but they have been sending the bill to his name, with my father indicated as the patient. I can't imagine my brother would have to assume this boll, but can the nursing home debt collectors try to collect from him?

Thanks for any advice and thoughts,

David in Cleveland, OH

BlondiePB

despec said:
What is the name of your state? OH

Hello to all,

My father passed away this past Saturday and left behind a $13K bill from a nursing home. Kaiser insurance decided to drop him and their 20% responsibility when they deemed my father "could not be rehabilitated" when he first went into the home. Medicare was able to pay 80% of his 100 day stay there, but nothing more. My father and brother were living on his SS check and small pension fund. My brother was his caregiver and POA at the time.

Is my brother at all responsible for this bill? He was only his POA, but they have been sending the bill to his name, with my father indicated as the patient. I can't imagine my brother would have to assume this boll, but can the nursing home debt collectors try to collect from him?
Thanks for any advice and thoughts,

David in Cleveland, OH
Who signed the nursing home contract your brother or your father?

despec

Re:

My brother was his POA, so he signed papers for my father. My brother has told me that he read everything he signed and didn't sign anything that suggested he was going to be responsible for the bill.

David

Indiana Filer

despec said:
My brother was his POA, so he signed papers for my father. My brother has told me that he read everything he signed and didn't sign anything that suggested he was going to be responsible for the bill.

David
Does your brother know HOW he signed the forms? Did he sign his name only, or did he indicate that he was the "Attorney in fact" due to the POA?

BlondiePB

despec said:

David
If your brother did not sign the contract with POA for....(name of your father) or such as Indiana indicated, your brother is the guarantor of the nursing home bill. Have him submit the bill to the Personal Representative/Executor of dad's estate and request that the estate pay the bill.

despec

Re:

As far as I know, he simply just signed his name, but he also gave a copy of the POA form to the nursing home to indicate as such.

My father has no estate. He died without any assets, nor a will. I'm assuming, however, that my brother won't be responsible for this bill regardless, correct?

David

BlondiePB

As far as I know, he simply just signed his name, but he also gave a copy of the POA form to the nursing home to indicate as such.
What matters is HOW your brother signed the contract.
I'm assuming, however, that my brother won't be responsible for this bill regardless, correct?
See above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">