• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nursing home medicare coverage while awaiting Medicaid approval

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KathyK

What is the name of your state? I am in GA

My mother (who resides in IL) is moving my grandmother from a nursing home in Ohio (where she is on Medicaid and has been for several years) to a nursing home in Illinois where she can better care for her (Alzheimers). My mother is physically unable to care for her at home. My grandmother, who is in her mid 90's and is wheelchair-bound, must be physically located in Illinois before they can re-apply for Medicaid in Illinois. In the unlikely case that she is not approved for Medicaid in Illinois, I was told that Medicare will cover the Illinois nursing home costs incurred while awaiting Medicaid approval. Does anyone know?

BlondiePB

KathyK said:
What is the name of your state? I am in GA

My mother (who resides in IL) is moving my grandmother from a nursing home in Ohio (where she is on Medicaid and has been for several years) to a nursing home in Illinois where she can better care for her (Alzheimers). My mother is physically unable to care for her at home. My grandmother, who is in her mid 90's and is wheelchair-bound, must be physically located in Illinois before they can re-apply for Medicaid in Illinois. In the unlikely case that she is not approved for Medicaid in Illinois, I was told that Medicare will cover the Illinois nursing home costs incurred while awaiting Medicaid approval. Does anyone know?
Stop listening to whoever told you this.

candg918

Medicare pays for rehabilitation NOT custodial care in skilled nursing facilities. Medicaid pay for custodial care. Since it appears that your grandmother requires custodial care, the family can pay for it after she is moved and until she qualifies for Medicaid in her new state of residence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">