• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY Elder Neglect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigMistakeFl

NY

I have an elderly relative who may have been whisked out of state and placed in a prayer only facility which does not recognize medicine or any diagnosis, does not permit medication or even vitamins. The facility is in NY, the relative's home was in FL.

Can anyone recommend a starting point for me to research elder neglect and spiritual "healing" in NY? Her adult kids are hiding her there, screening her calls, etc.

Thanks a mil,
BigMistakeFl
Concerned extended family

BL

Contact the local DSS ( temporary assistance ) ( welfare ) , Adult Protective Services Dept .

Hopefully they will investigate .

BigMistakeFl

Good idea

That's very helpful, thanks. I'm thinking of taking a (long) drive over and paying an unexpected visit to the facility at which I think the relative is being "treated".

Anyone have any similar experience, any case law on this type of thing? Is it impossible to really do anything to help an 80-something whose adult children placed her in such a "spiritual" facility? She most likely signed consent forms, etc, as directed by her son. When her adult daughter flew to FL to take her to the adult son's NY place, (turned out to be this facility nearby), the relative called and said she had only planned to stay a short while then return, but the daughter insisted she should also pack winter clothes. There are other subtle things, but all in all lead me to think she did not know she was going anywhere other than the son's home.

I'm not going to try to take matters into my own hands, but I've found that knowledge rather than presumption, leads me further down the better chosen path. I'll take action only with the proper authorities if I should find anything there to be concerned about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">