• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

options for elderly parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maggie pup

When my mother was in sound mind six months ago, she gave money as a gift to all of her great -grandchildren, totally the amount of $25,000.

We all expected her to be healthy and of sound mind for years to come.

However, this did not happen. She now suffers from dementia and may need to move from her apartment that she rents. She does not own a car, home or have a large sum of money.

Will this affect her getting into a nursing home or have assisted living care ?

She has no long term care insurance coverage. She does have medicare and insurance from my deceased dad.

Thank you for any advice or a website to research our options in this matter.

maggie pup

so your advice is ?

My mom gave to all of her kids, grandkids and great grandkids. That was just how she was. She never wanted anything for herself.

I would rather have her mentally back than anything. I only want the best for her and I am not sure what to do.

So quotes are great, but not helping this.

I did not know if I had to get that money back I did not know if I needed to take out a loan. I do not want to ask the great grandchildren as it was a gift to all of them, and that was her intentions.

Kiawah

Think Blondie was indicating that you deleted the state information, and that seems to happen when non-US questions get asked.

There's a five year lookback, check your states internet websites (like dept of human services, dept of welfare, medicaid dept,etc). They'll typically do a calculation based upon how much was given away, as to how many months of nursing home coverage that will have to be personally paid for before the state will consider picking up the costs. States also have clip levels on the amount of remaining assets allowed (must spend down first), the types of assets allowed to be held, and the amount of monthly income from SS, pensions, interest/dividends, etc.

Not a lawyer, but have been through the process with MIL. Had actually started planning for it many years before actually having to apply, so had all of the financial records archived in softcopy and readily available for the state reviews and able to supply documentation for any question they had.

You may want to do a consult with local elder law attorney, given the shortened window you are working with. Someone knowledgeable with your state process can save you a TON of time and avoid some of the frustration.

BlondiePB

Think Blondie was indicating that you deleted the state information, and that seems to happen when non-US questions get asked.
You are correct.

BTW, would you please just answer the OP's questions and omit personal narratives. Doing so turns the thread into you, you, you which is not the purpose.

I've been meaning to say something for a while. Occasionally when one of we seniors hijack a useless thead and have a hayday, talking about oneself is fine. Thank you.

Last edited:

maggie pup

The state is MA. Was not trying to make this into ME, ME, ME, as you stated. It is about my mother and what I can do to help her. I tried to make this to the point without making it into a book like many posts I have recently read that seem to go on and on and on with personal narratives. I think before one writes they need to look at their own posts.

Thank you Kiawah for replying and giving me a legitimate answer to my questions.

In my occupation, I am considered a SENIOR member and I would have never a "hayday" on anothers expense, especially a new member.

Last edited:

BlondiePB

The state is MA. Was not trying to make this into ME, ME, ME, as you stated. It is about my mother and what I can do to help her. I tried to make this to the point without making it into a book like many posts I have recently read that seem to go on and on and on with personal narratives. I think before one writes they need to look at their own posts.

Thank you Kiawah for replying and giving me a legitimate answer to my questions.

In my occupation, I am considered a SENIOR member and I would have never a "hayday" on anothers expense, especially a new member.
I wasn't addressing you maggie. As you can see from the quote, Kiawah was being addressed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">