• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outrageous POA and Petitions ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gopjenny

What is the name of your state? PA

My mother is estranged from all but one of her siblings.
Her father's recent death (the result of negligence on the part of the caregiver) has brought out the absolute worst in the family.
My mother and her one brother have been excluded from all doings regarding (while he was alive) her father's care, his finances and (after his death)issues regarding his estate.

We have reason to believe the POA (who is also the Executor of the will) has mishandled his finances and want an accounting of her actions during her time as POA. She's even violated the terms of the will regarding distribution of personal property...for which we feel we have no legal recourse.

My mother has been told that when my grandfather's house sells, that should she refuse to sign a release from any future law suits against the Executor/POA, any monies that would be hers can be withheld.

1. Is this correct? It almost seems like blackmail - sign this or you get nothing.

So we were told by an attorney she needs to file 2 petitions...
for First and Final Accounting of POA
for First and Final Accounting of Services of Executor.

We were told this was quite costly.

2. Is this something my mother can file on her own or does she need an attorney to do so?

Thank you very much for your consideration and advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">