• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent unable to care for self.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms. B.

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My father is 83 years old and lives with my step mother who is unable to provide the care he needs. He has numerous medical conditions including diabetis, renal failure, hear problems, hypertension and alzheimers. For some time, myself and siblings have been concerned about his care because we could not get sufficient answers, such as who is his physician, what medications is he on and when was his last medical appointment, from my step-mother. He has been deteriotating rapidly. One of my siblings would regularly visit him at the dialysis center because that was the only place where my step-mother would not be there trying to answer for him. It was during a visit about two and a half weeks ago that my sister discovered that my father had severe swelling in both feet and legs and could no longer walk without severe pain. My sister took him and my step-mother to the ER and he was admitted on that same day. Apparently, my father has not been seen by a physican other ther the nephrologist at the dialysis center in perhaps a year and my step-mother had in fact discontinued some of his medications because she didn't feel it was helping. He was hopitalzed for 6 days and referred to a nursing home for rehabilitation for 20 days. The problem is my step-mother is unable to care for my father even though it is her intention to have him released to her at the conclusion of his rehabilitation. Currently, he still is not walking athough the edema is better. She has also told the nursing home to not give me and my siblings any information about my father's condition. Although he has alzheimers, he is still lucid and can communicate his feelings. My siblings and I would like to get power of attorney regarding health care. It is also our desire to have him remain in the nursing home because his wife is completely unable to care for him. My father receives a pension and social security and we believe that my step-mother is affraid that we will go after his money. My question is what is the best way to proceed to ensure that my father's children are involved in his health care decision making and that he receives proper care.

moburkes

There is no law that requires that children be notified of a perosn's healht condition. And, even without your step mother's say, the nursing home should NOT release information about your father's health without his permission.

An attorney will be by abou the PoA.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My father is 83 years old and lives with my step mother who is unable to provide the care he needs. He has numerous medical conditions including diabetis, renal failure, hear problems, hypertension and alzheimers. For some time, myself and siblings have been concerned about his care because we could not get sufficient answers, such as who is his physician, what medications is he on and when was his last medical appointment, from my step-mother. He has been deteriotating rapidly. One of my siblings would regularly visit him at the dialysis center because that was the only place where my step-mother would not be there trying to answer for him. It was during a visit about two and a half weeks ago that my sister discovered that my father had severe swelling in both feet and legs and could no longer walk without severe pain. My sister took him and my step-mother to the ER and he was admitted on that same day. Apparently, my father has not been seen by a physican other ther the nephrologist at the dialysis center in perhaps a year and my step-mother had in fact discontinued some of his medications because she didn't feel it was helping. He was hopitalzed for 6 days and referred to a nursing home for rehabilitation for 20 days. The problem is my step-mother is unable to care for my father even though it is her intention to have him released to her at the conclusion of his rehabilitation. Currently, he still is not walking athough the edema is better. She has also told the nursing home to not give me and my siblings any information about my father's condition. Although he has alzheimers, he is still lucid and can communicate his feelings. My siblings and I would like to get power of attorney regarding health care. It is also our desire to have him remain in the nursing home because his wife is completely unable to care for him. My father receives a pension and social security and we believe that my step-mother is affraid that we will go after his money. My question is what is the best way to proceed to ensure that my father's children are involved in his health care decision making and that he receives proper care.
Your father cannot sign a POA due to his dementia. Is his wife "mentally sound"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">