• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying my Mom's bills as she is in Nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chicagoish

I live in PA. I have POA for my mother. She has become a permanent resident in a nursing home. We are in the process of getting her on Medicaid. However, she still has her home. It's on the market but hasn't sold. Once on Medicaid they will take her Social Security Check. How am I as POA supposed to pay her taxes, etc? She has a Home Equity Loan, so can I use those fund since the county will have all her income?

Will I be liable in any way if I do so? There is no other way to pay her taxes and minimal amount of home maintenance otherwise without paying for them myself, and I'd rather not do so, for fear of not being reimbursed.

Thanks.

nextwife

You should not be running up new charges against the line of credit if you know the source of payments on it is being cut off.

CSO286

I live in PA. I have POA for my mother. She has become a permanent resident in a nursing home. We are in the process of getting her on Medicaid. However, she still has her home. It's on the market but hasn't sold. Once on Medicaid they will take her Social Security Check. How am I as POA supposed to pay her taxes, etc? She has a Home Equity Loan, so can I use those fund since the county will have all her income?

Will I be liable in any way if I do so? There is no other way to pay her taxes and minimal amount of home maintenance otherwise without paying for them myself, and I'd rather not do so, for fear of not being reimbursed.

Thanks.

In addtion, once mom is on Medicaid, know that when she passes, the county will pursue an estate recovery, and can force the sale of her home to reimburse them for the medical costs incurred caring for her.

OHRoadwarrior

Sounds like moms house will definitely go to pay her current nursing charges. I am surprised the nursing home has not taken action to attach. I would not worry about paying taxes etc... let the state, the bank and the county work it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">