• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Placing a parent in a memory care facility.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pike_petstuff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My father has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. He currently lives alone in his home with some drop in caregivers coming in several times a week to clean and manage his medication. He has been declining in his ability to function and we would like him to go to a memory care facility. He does not want to go. We have a medical POA. What other documents would be needed for us to place him even if he protests?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My father has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. He currently lives alone in his home with some drop in caregivers coming in several times a week to clean and manage his medication. He has been declining in his ability to function and we would like him to go to a memory care facility. He does not want to go. We have a medical POA. What other documents would be needed for us to place him even if he protests?
Whether or not you can successfully place him depends on how lucid he is at any one given time. You might place him but he might be able to convince a social worker to release him if he is mostly lucid. On the other hand if he is truly incompetent you placing him could stick. Unfortunately with Alzheimer's there is a period of time, during the mild to moderate stage where its difficult to force the patient to do anything that they do not want to do.

A POA does not give you the authority to usurp the patient's rights. I only gives you the authority to act on their behalf if they are incompetent to exercise their own rights.

Perhaps the better course at this point in time would be to get him more time with caregivers in his own home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">