• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CanyouHelp?

Power of Attorney for deployed Military Members

I am a Sergeant in the Marines currently deployed to Iraq for one year. I had a friend who I knew for about 2 years. I left this friend my Power Of Attorney becuase I have already put my Mom through 3 deployments before this one. This friend is a female and she swore up and down that she respected my feelings for not wanting a relationship with her. She always seemed to be caring and just show genuine concern about me, I have always been cautious and gaurded when it comes to my personal and financial matters, and I was reluctant to let her help in that area of my life.

Eventually I did, she was very persistant, and I handed over Power of Attorney to her. When I went home on R&R for about 2 weeks, I decided to take a relationship I had more serious, and I was going to make a commitment with someone else. I shared this with my friend, thinking she would be happy for me, well that was not the case. Shortly after that, she withdrew a little under $13,000 from my checking account, without asking me or even letting me know. When I found out about it, my heart was in my throat. I suffered from chest pains and anxiety, and I could not understand why she would do that to me.

When I asked her why she did it, she answered that she just needed to pay some bills, and she promised to pay me back. Months have passed and not one dime has been returned to me. When I keep asking her, she says that next month, its always next month. I have emails from her, stating that she promises to pay me back, and I even had my Mom write up a statement that she signed aknowleding that she owes me that money. What I would like to know is what can I do as far as legal to get that money back, would I be wasting my time, since I gave her the power of attorney, or do I have a chance in court. I gave her permission to access my checking account to pay my bills but not to use my money for her own personal use. Please help I am out here still in Iraq and I am suffering from alot of anxiety that is not letting me focus on the missions I have to do out here. It would make me feal alot better knowing that there is something I can do when I get back.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

BlondiePB

Power of Attorney for deployed Military Members

I am a Sergeant in the Marines currently deployed to Iraq for one year. I had a friend who I knew for about 2 years. I left this friend my Power Of Attorney becuase I have already put my Mom through 3 deployments before this one. This friend is a female and she swore up and down that she respected my feelings for not wanting a relationship with her. She always seemed to be caring and just show genuine concern about me, I have always been cautious and gaurded when it comes to my personal and financial matters, and I was reluctant to let her help in that area of my life.

Eventually I did, she was very persistant, and I handed over Power of Attorney to her. When I went home on R&R for about 2 weeks, I decided to take a relationship I had more serious, and I was going to make a commitment with someone else. I shared this with my friend, thinking she would be happy for me, well that was not the case. Shortly after that, she withdrew a little under $13,000 from my checking account, without asking me or even letting me know. When I found out about it, my heart was in my throat. I suffered from chest pains and anxiety, and I could not understand why she would do that to me.

When I asked her why she did it, she answered that she just needed to pay some bills, and she promised to pay me back. Months have passed and not one dime has been returned to me. When I keep asking her, she says that next month, its always next month. I have emails from her, stating that she promises to pay me back, and I even had my Mom write up a statement that she signed aknowleding that she owes me that money. What I would like to know is what can I do as far as legal to get that money back, would I be wasting my time, since I gave her the power of attorney, or do I have a chance in court. I gave her permission to access my checking account to pay my bills but not to use my money for her own personal use. Please help I am out here still in Iraq and I am suffering from alot of anxiety that is not letting me focus on the missions I have to do out here. It would make me feal alot better knowing that there is something I can do when I get back.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Where does the POA live?

Dandy Don

Thank you for your service to our country.

You forgot to mention what state this applies to. Contact a family law attorney and they can tell you what to do. Almost every state has laws on the books against abuse of POA and this lady is supposed to provide an accounting with receipts of any monies she got to prove that she spent them on your behalf. Since she can't prove that she spent the money on you, she will have to make restitution and face possible criminal charges.

Next time you pick a POA try to select someone whom you can trust more closely--don't you have a friend, attorney, siblings or cousins who could do a better job with this than lady friend did?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">