• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shannon08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My father has advanced stage 4 lung cancer that has spread ever where, he has had 36 radiation treatments, he had to have a trach put in, he has been placed in a nursing to learn how to take care of the trach, the day he was supposed to leave the nursing home and come home, he was really in bad shape and they wouldnt let him leave, he just had to have a feeding tube placed so he can get nutrition yesterday.
He has a living will and a DNR order, me and my mother are his medical power of attorneys,but we arent aloud to do anything untill he is unable too.. we need to be able to talk to his dr.s and make his phone calls for him regarding his bills and stuff to make sure things get taken care of, he doesnt own a home , my mom is on his checking account so she can write checks . What do we need to do, we dont have the money to hire a lawyer to have a POA drawn up,

BlondiePB

My father has advanced stage 4 lung cancer that has spread ever where, he has had 36 radiation treatments, he had to have a trach put in, he has been placed in a nursing to learn how to take care of the trach, the day he was supposed to leave the nursing home and come home, he was really in bad shape and they wouldnt let him leave, he just had to have a feeding tube placed so he can get nutrition yesterday.
He has a living will and a DNR order, me and my mother are his medical power of attorneys,but we arent aloud to do anything untill he is unable too.. we need to be able to talk to his dr.s and make his phone calls for him regarding his bills and stuff to make sure things get taken care of, he doesnt own a home , my mom is on his checking account so she can write checks . What do we need to do, we dont have the money to hire a lawyer to have a POA drawn up,
Have dad give the nursing home and physicians permission in writing.

BusyMom1967

I had a similar situation and you need to do this now. Some hospitals have a A notary republic on hand and sometimes even a lawyer, if your hospital does not have one, call out of the Yellow pages to pay a Legal assistant or a Notary republic to come to the hospital. You will have to make a few phone calls to find one. IF he still has thought and mental well being, he can sign POAs, but you must do it fast, sounds like even is he comes out of this, it will be long road.

BTW - I feel for you. I went through this last year. I know you don't want to think about this, but Make sure you "find" money now for a burial - just in case. If worst comes to worse, all of his assets are frozen.

I am not an attorney, so you need to check with one.

If Dad is at the stage where the hospital or nursing home has suggested hospice, contact them immediately. If you are not at that stage, ask for a hospice referral and I bet you can get the hospice folks to start helping you with these issues regardless of placement. All hospice organizations I've dealt with can help with a simple set of forms for POA, HIPPA issues, etc. and can arrange for a proper notary to come witness the signature.

Call his bank and get the POA that his bank uses and have that signed at the same time. Many banks are reluctant to use a general POA and insist on their own.

As suggested, do it quickly - if you wait too long, there may be an argument that Dad is no longer competent.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">