• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gator90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease over a year ago. During that time, my sister and I began to discuss plans of best options for her. My mother has a fifty year old son who has lived with her for fifteen years because he has never been able to get his life in order. Upon hearing that we were in the process of gaining power of attorney, he whisked her out and had her sign POA over to him.

Since this time, we have tried having him investigated by the state twice, to no avail. We have proof that he has placed a car on her credit card, constantly makes withdraws from her checking account, has disabled her phone line, and is almost never around to check on her. It seems as if the elderly have to be battered and bruised for the state to act. They will not check into her finances. We feel as if there is nowhere to turn to help her. The attorneys I've contacted want thousands of dollars (which we don't have) to help us gain guardianship. What else can we do??? Is there anyone who will take on this type of case on a contingency basis?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BlondiePB

The attorneys I've contacted want thousands of dollars (which we don't have) to help us gain guardianship. What else can we do???
A reasonable retainer would be around $2,500.00. Keep looking for an attorney and ask the attorney about reimbursement of the retainer if you are appointed the guardian.
Is there anyone who will take on this type of case on a contingency basis?
No, this is not a contingency case.

BTW, due to the Alzheimer's, mom cannot sign any estate papers including a POA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">