• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA for deceased Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChrisHead

My mother passes away in 1998 and left no will. The only asset that she effectively had was a small amount of Placer Dome stock. Placer Dome was recently purchased by Barrick Gold and her shares were converted to Barrack stock.
When I informed Barrack that my mother had passed away, I was told that I needed a POA to enable me to do anything with the stock. I have the certificate of death for her, how do I get a POA for a deceased parent?
I would appreciate any help that you might provide.

Sincerely, Christopher Head

Last edited:

JETX

My mother passes away in 1998 and left no will. The only asset that she effectively had was a small amount of Placer Dome stock. Placer Dome was recently purchased by Barrick Gold and her shares were converted to Barrack stock.
When I informed Barrack that my mother had passed away, I was told that I needed a POA to enable me to do anything with the stock. I have the certificate of death for her, how do I get a POA for a deceased parent?
You don't. You can't get a POA for a deceased person.... in fact, if you DID have a POA at the time, it would have ceased being valid on her death. A POA does not 'survive' the death.

ChrisHead

Thank you for that information.

I can appreciate that the woman from Barrack would not know whether or not I could get a POA. But now what do I do. I could use the money that the stock is worth. How do I get this resolved. I live in North Carolina, but my Mom passed away in Illinois.

As I say, I have the certificate of death for my Mom. Is there a way that I can submit that to Barrack and claim that I am the rightful heir to the stock? Nobody ever said that any of this is easy. I appreciate the help.

Christopher Head

anteater

How is that relevant... the POA does NOT survive the death.... in ANY state.
Further, even if it did, there is no way for a deceased person to SIGN the POA!!
1) OP might not have even been in the U.S.

2) Given the state, might be some suggestions on what to do.

Unless you are planning on spending some time in Illinois, try to find an IL attorney with probate experience - in the county in which your mother resided or close by. In IL, if the value of the estate is less than $100,000 and only personal property is involved, a small estate affidavit can be used. Ask if they can assist in completing the affidavit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">