• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA and inherited debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cneajna

What is the name of your state? NC

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My adoptive mother is in her early 70's however her health and memory are both failing. I am looking into getting PoA in order to help her pay her bills and with regards to medical treatment when she is no longer able to make those decisions herself.

Another concern is this: my mother has a rather large debt and I am not sure what happens to this once she passes. I know that it just doesn't disappear. Is it divided between her biological son and myself? How does this work?

Any ideas you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Sorry, I posted this in the family law section too. I'm not really sure where it should go.

BlondiePB

Cneajna said:
What is the name of your state? NC

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My adoptive mother is in her early 70's however her health and memory are both failing. I am looking into getting PoA in order to help her pay her bills and with regards to medical treatment when she is no longer able to make those decisions herself.

Another concern is this: my mother has a rather large debt and I am not sure what happens to this once she passes. I know that it just doesn't disappear. Is it divided between her biological son and myself? How does this work?

Any ideas you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Sorry, I posted this in the family law section too. I'm not really sure where it should go.
Mom's debt is paid by her estate, unless you make yourself responsible for it.

LdiJ

BlondiePB said:
Mom's debt is paid by her estate, unless you make yourself responsible for it.
We should also add, that if mom's estate isn't large enough to cover the entire debt, then that is the creditor's bad luck. You and your brother won't inherit anything but you also won't be responsible for the debt either, unless you choose to be responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">