• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA-More Than One Agent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blue Eyes

What is the name of your state? CA
My parents are in their 80's and currently have each other appointed as Health Care and Financial POA. Mother is having heart surgery soon and father is recovering from a mild stroke. Parents agree that they need to change POA to a younger agent, namely their children. To balance the responsibility equally and avoid showing favoritism and, can they appoint co-agents to act for them, naming all three children?
-"I appoint child1, child2, and child3 to serve as my co-agents..."
Or does there need to be a pecking order?
Thanks a bunch!!What is the name of your state?

BlondiePB

Blue Eyes said:
What is the name of your state? CA
My parents are in their 80's and currently have each other appointed as Health Care and Financial POA. Mother is having heart surgery soon and father is recovering from a mild stroke. Parents agree that they need to change POA to a younger agent, namely their children. To balance the responsibility equally and avoid showing favoritism and, can they appoint co-agents to act for them, naming all three children?
-"I appoint child1, child2, and child3 to serve as my co-agents..."
Or does there need to be a pecking order?
Thanks a bunch!!What is the name of your state?
It's NOT a good idea to have co-agents. Have your parents nominate one child and then the other two in order of preference to whom they want to make decisions should the primary agent not be available with the POA reverting to the primary agent upon being available.

Blue Eyes

Thank you so very much for your reply. I'm curious...what is the danger (or possible legal pitfalls) in having co-agents? My siblings and I get along with each other and have always been very close. In our situation, being co-agents would be a convenient solution in the likely case one agent is unavailable (working, out of town, etc.) to act on behalf of our parents.

BlondiePB

Blue Eyes said:
Thank you so very much for your reply. I'm curious...what is the danger (or possible legal pitfalls) in having co-agents? My siblings and I get along with each other and have always been very close. In our situation, being co-agents would be a convenient solution in the likely case one agent is unavailable (working, out of town, etc.) to act on behalf of our parents.
Though you and your siblings get along, when it comes to these types of decisions, conflicts arise. Having equal power can cause chaos, especially with health care decisions. As stated above, the POA can have alternates to step in when the primary decision maker is not available.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">