• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harrytolland

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I have had POA for an individual for three years now. Am I allowed to reimburse myself for expenses involved in, for example, visiting this person in a nursing home -- it's an hour's drive each way; for small items purchased -- cosmetics, flowers, etc [it adds up after a few years], etc?

Would someone tell me just what reimbursements to myself I can make? I have been scrupulous in investing and accounting for this person's money and, other than dispensing small birthday and Christmas gifts to grandchildren, all the money is going to her care.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

GaAtty

GaAtty

It depends on what your POA says. Some of them say that the POA is entitled to be paid. If it does not say that, then certainly you can be reimbursed for expenses related to the things you do as POA. For example, if you have to hire a bookkeeper to keep the person's banking records, that would be reimbursable. However, it sounds like you may possibly be viewing your "job" as being more than strictly POA. You may be coming close to acting as a legal guardian not just a POA. If this person is mentally incapacitated, then you may be doing more than you are legally authorized to do, so you need to evaluate that situation. Different states have different laws on this, and you may want to consult an attorney on this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">