• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddanckaert

My mother in law has a house in MD. She just moved to NC as she's become physically less mobile.

As part of estate planning, we just completed creating a Will, Durable Power of Attorney, and Health Care Power of Attorney. Everything was witnessed and notarized. The latter two items will be filed with the Register of Deeds in Burgaw County, NC.

One of the reasons that we created the Durable Power of Attorney was to enable my wife to handle the real-estate transactions involving the sale of her house. In fact, the POA specifically gives her permission to do this.

My question is... I believe that in order for the attorney-in-fact to sell, transfer, or mortgage real estate, the power of attorney must be recorded with the office of the recorder of deeds in the county where the real estate is located. So... we haven't done that. We've got an updated version of the power of attorney referencing her house address which we can get witnessed and notarized, but I'm not sure where we'd get it registered in Calvert County Maryland.

http://www.courts.state.md.us/clerks/calvert/records.html

Does anyone know where a power of attorney document would be filed in Calvert County, Maryland? Or is this unnecessary. Would the power of attorney from NC be sufficient.

Thanks

ddanckaert

Land Records

There is one office there in the Circuit Court for Calvert County that will register documents that have to deal with real estate.

As far as I can tell, we would register the Durable Power of Attorney with this office since it mentions the ability to handle real-estate transactions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">