• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

power of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atl4kids

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My brother and I hold joint power of attorney for my mother. She has has been diagnosed with stage 2 Alzheimers. She currently lives alone and we have hired campanions to tend to her during the day time hours. Adult Protective Services did an in home evaluation and is requiring she now have 24 hour care. She has very limited funds. I would like to place her in a managed care facility however, he wants her to remain in her home and exhaust all her savings. We each live hundreds of miles away from her. Since my brother holds her Health Care Proxy, I can not place her without his consent. I would like to be removed as Power of Attorney because I do not want to be held accountable if she does not receive adequate care, nor do I want to be liable if one of her caregivers is injured while watching her. I feel I can best look after my mother by letting my brother take control and closely monitoring his actions to ensure she remain safe if she stays at home.
What steps do I need to take to remove myself as POA, and will I still be held accountable in the event my mother doesn't receive proper medical care?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">