• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of attorney for estranged grandmother whose children have died

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PDC

I was wondering what the process is to gain the power of attorney for my wife's grandmother. She is likely mentally ill and abandoned her family about 20 years ago. Her son (my father-in-law) passed away in Jan 2013 and her daughter passed away last week. We have not been able to inform her of her kids' deaths. We were in contact with a West Coast Missing persons unit when we received court documents showing she was in Washington State as recent as 2006, but nothing substantiated from that lead. Furthermore, we do not have the power to lay the remains of both children in the family's burial plots at the cemetery because her name resides on the contract. My wife is now next of kin for this process. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I think the grandmother is/would be ~80 years old, and is thought to be homeless in the greater Washington/Oregon area. This entire family story is tragic, but we feel it is necessary to provide a fitting resting place for the siblings.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was wondering what the process is to gain the power of attorney for my wife's grandmother. She is likely mentally ill and abandoned her family about 20 years ago. Her son (my father-in-law) passed away in Jan 2013 and her daughter passed away last week. We have not been able to inform her of her kids' deaths. We were in contact with a West Coast Missing persons unit when we received court documents showing she was in Washington State as recent as 2006, but nothing substantiated from that lead. Furthermore, we do not have the power to lay the remains of both children in the family's burial plots at the cemetery because her name resides on the contract. My wife is now next of kin for this process. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I think the grandmother is/would be ~80 years old, and is thought to be homeless in the greater Washington/Oregon area. This entire family story is tragic, but we feel it is necessary to provide a fitting resting place for the siblings.
You have no reason to believe that the woman is either willing, or legally able to assign you or your wife as the power of attorney. You may need to find alternate arrangements for the burial if the cemetery won't accommodate.

My condolences.

LdiJ

I would suggest that you check the social security death index to make sure that she has not passed away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">