• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney, Grandmother being abandoned.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caddleprod

What is the name of your state? florida

I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum, if not I ask a Mod to move it for me.
I am trying to get some information for my fiancé. It is in regards to a power of attorney and how to have something done if that POA is being abused in anyway.

Here is what the situation is.

My fiancés grandmother lives approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour away from us depending on traffic. Basically it is roughly 40 miles from our home. The grandmother has 2 children. Her daughter who is my fiancés mother lives right behind her. Literally only maybe a couple hundred feet behind her. Her son also lives nearby. Her son has power of attorney over the fiancés grandmother.

The grandmother also raised my fiancé and her siblings because of circumstances that happened back when my fiancé was a small child. She is currently 37. The problem here is both the mother, and the son who have power of attorney pretty much avoid contact with the grandmother. To be more specific, we have had to come over and take the grandmother to her doctor’s appointments, bought her groceries, etc… I should mention the grandmother has no car, much less a license. She is totally dependant on others for her needs. My fiancé also suspects possible abuse of the grandmother’s funds by the son as well. She is not here as I am writing this from work, so I do not have the specifics on that at the moment. I can provide after I talk with her.

My fiancé is wondering if anything can be done here, or maybe I should ask what are the options? Now I do believe that the grandmother can change power of attorney status correct? Are there other options that my fiancé can take? Like having someone observe what happens here? It really hurts my fiancé as well. We came over and picked up her grandmother on both Thanksgiving, and Christmas to have dinners with my family. That is actually a great thing. There are no complaints about that as we both love her grandmother. It is just both the mother who lives right behind her, and her son who has power of attorney did not even give the grandmother a phone call.

Anytime anything comes up such as doctors appointments, grocery shopping, etc… they do not even care, they let it fall on my fiancés lap and let her deal with it. Now my fiancé loves her grandmother, and will do it willingly, but at the same time she is getting frustrated and angry at both her mother and her uncle for basically abandoning their mother. A lot of this is venting, but is there not something she could not do on her own at least to show that the person who should be looking after the grandmother (the son) should be doing his job and taking care of her?
Again I am just looking for any opinions, advice that can be given here.

Thanks,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">