• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney-Health Care Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

j.quest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

The facts: My mom has terminal lung cancer and seeing a Hospice nurse once a week. Mom is losing weight fast simply because she has no appetite. Hospice nurse says at this point she does not qualify to be admitted to a hospice facility. I'm the Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care Decisions. Do I have the choice to not have them(nursing home)give her a feeding tube?

The following is what it says in her Declaration For Final Disposition: "If I am unable to participate in decisions concerning my health care,I specifically direct my attending physician to withhold or withdraw artificial nutrition and hydration and any other procedures that merely prolong the dying process and that are not necessary for my comfort or to alleviate pain." Thanks for your input.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

The facts: My mom has terminal lung cancer and seeing a Hospice nurse once a week. Mom is losing weight fast simply because she has no appetite. Hospice nurse says at this point she does not qualify to be admitted to a hospice facility. I'm the Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care Decisions. Do I have the choice to not have them(nursing home)give her a feeding tube?

The following is what it says in her Declaration For Final Disposition: "If I am unable to participate in decisions concerning my health care,I specifically direct my attending physician to withhold or withdraw artificial nutrition and hydration and any other procedures that merely prolong the dying process and that are not necessary for my comfort or to alleviate pain." Thanks for your input.
No, that's the doctor's call to make.

j.quest

The way I read it and understand it is the doctor will have no choice but to withhold or withdraw artificial nutrition and hydration. Is this what it say's?

CSO286

The way I read it and understand it is the doctor will have no choice but to withhold or withdraw artificial nutrition and hydration. Is this what it say's?
If they are merely prolonging the inevitable, then yes, she is directing the doctor to simply manage her pain until she passes away. These are sometimes called "comfort cares".

Putting in a feeding tube is not somthing the nursing home will just do arbitrarily, especially when talking about palliatiave (end of life) care.They will need a doctor's order to do so. It is likely that your input and the foreknowledge of your mother's wishes will be needed at a care conference when considering these interventions. If your mom is truly nearing the end, then a feeding tube will only prolong the dying process.

I truly feel for you in this difficult time.

j.quest

CSO286, Thank You very much for your input. I just got back the the local hospice facility and they answered many of my questions. So with your input and there's I know exactly where my sister and I should proceed. Again,Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">