• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of attorney HELP!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hmanjd

What is the name of your state? California
My brotherin-law has a girlfriend who needs some help. Her father hates the fact that she is dating my brother-in-law and convinced her in a short period when she was feeling down and wasn't eating right that she had an eating disorder. He had her check into a clinic in Newport Beach for 3 days. Trusting her father she signed the papers consenting to the 3 days and while doing so signed a power of attorney signing away all her rights unknown; he had slipped it in there with out her knowing. Now he wants to keep her there for 60 more days with the power of attorney because in that time frame my brother-in-law who is in the Coast Guard deploys. My questioin is can she revoke the power of attorney or contest it in any way? The doctors at the facility have told her and her FATHER that she does not need the treatment because she is not sick. Can someone please help she is the sweetest girl and I don't like to see things like this happen to nice people.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Yes, she can revoke the POA by typing up a form herself. She needs to check with her bank to make sure this man doesn't have any control over her bank accounts and notifies them that it has been revoked.

BlondiePB

The doctors at the facility have told her and her FATHER that she does not need the treatment because she is not sick.
If she is still at the facility, she can leave at any time. She can revoke the POA at any time too in writing. She also needs to close any bank accounts. Hopefully, her dad didn't clean them out.

pojo2

PERHAPS

Dad is right after all if

convinced her in a short period when she was feeling down and wasn't eating right that she had an eating disorder

she is this easily swayed.

Just playing devils advocate.

BlondiePB

pojo2 said:
PERHAPS

Dad is right after all if

convinced her in a short period when she was feeling down and wasn't eating right that she had an eating disorder

she is this easily swayed.

Just playing devils advocate.
You imp you!! ;)

I just love how POAs think they can do what they do, especially when a person has not been declared incompetent. Just because a person grants an agent to be his/her POA, that does not mean the grantor can conduct his/her own affairs, make his/her own decisions, and do as he/she pleases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">