• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney Powers - Willed townhome of my abused and confused grandmother...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Tulsa, OK

My grandmother is living in her townhome with my cousin. My cousin manipulates and confuses her. He has alienated her from other family members. He has become irrational and crazy!

A year or so ago, my cousin managed to get my grandmother to change her will, to state that he will get her townhome in the event of her death. It was also discovered that he has spent $17,000 of her savings. We understand that these are classic signs of elderly abuse, but so far the family wishes to just remove her from the situation.

My grandmother goes in and out of dementia rapidly. The family does not wish to have her declared incompetent at this time (for her happiness,) in order to appoint a guardian.

These crazy decisions are based on the concerns of multiple family members. I suppose they are trying to fix the situation as "calmly" and inexpensively as possible.

Questions...

1. If she goes into an assisted living situation, can the townhouse be sold in order to pay for the housing? (Note - she willed the townhome to her grandson)

2. My Uncle has "Durable Power of Attorney," will be able to sign the lease at her new assisted living place if she refuses to sign herself?

3. As "Durable Power of Attorney," would he be able to reverse the willing of the townhome to my cousin?

Any other random advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
BethWhat is the name of your state?

candg918

Since you specfied that you live in Tulsa, check with Tulsa/Life Senior Services. It is a United Way sponsored agency dealing with issues affecting the elderly in Northeast OK including listings of senior living communities and other services. Since you have mentioned dementia as an issue, you will find that the options for assisted living facilities are limited. They can also assist you in dealing with the issue of potential caretaker abuse.

http://www.seniorline.org/seniorline/Default.asp

lwpat

Selling the townhome will effectively negate the will. You can't will what you do not have. Someone needs to take charge of her finances immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">