• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney in Puerto Rico

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hondo381

:( This issue pertains to Puerto Rico Law. Hopefully I can get some help on what I am about to ask.

My mother is 82 yrs. old and has 2 sons, myself a NY State resident and my brother a Minnesota resident. She had been living alone ever since the death of my father 9 years ago. Four months ago, she suffered a stroke. That is when we had to place her in a Nursing Home due to what has been diagnosed as Senile Dementia, possibly triggered by the stroke. In the past, she always turned down our requests to move to the states with me or my brother.

I have a few questions: first, how do we get a Power of Attorney on my mother's behalf in Puerto Rico given her mental state? We already have a document stating her condition from a Psychologist.

Next, I would like to get the recommendation of a competent attorney in the Lajas, PR area who hopefully does not take advantage of the fact that he/she would be working for next of kin from the States? When my father died, her joint checking account with my father was frozen by the bank. The attorney that she hired dragged his feet for over 4 years without resolving that issue. She hired another attorney and she apparently took her money as well without doing what she was hired to do. Unbeknownst to us, she went back to the first attorney who eventually, after a total of about 7 years, resolved the matter.

Finally, how difficult would it be to have our names, my brothers' and myself, put on the deed to my mother's home. This home is totally paid for with no mortgage whatsoever. I've been told that I would have to present documentation to a "Tribunal" in order to get a Judge to declare my Mother incompetent. I also need to get an approximation as to what kind of attorney's fees we might incur to get all of this resolved.

I hope that you can help us out being that my brother and I both live in the States. We do have a cousin who has been a True Angel when it comes to seeing that my Mother's needs are met (Doctor's appointments, prescriptions, etc.) I, we would like to get the right advise on the issues which I have described above. I eagerly await your response to this problem that we now have. I thank you in advance for all responses.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">