• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

power of attorny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmnr

I live in California. Many years ago I gave my husband power of attorny when I was over seas with the Marine corp. When I returned home I never thought about it again. Untill 2 years ago when my husband passed away. Last week I checked to see if I could refinance my home. They told me that my husband has power of attorny and I can not do anything. How do I get my power of attorny back?

anteater

Who is "they?" And how do "they" even know that a Power of Attorney ever existed?

Without seeing the document, I guess one should never say never. But, I would put my money on Choice B: "They" are full of it.

In a normal power of attorney, the person granting the power does not give up the right to conduct their own affairs. And just as a POA ends when the person granting it passes away, the agent (obviously) cannot exercise the power they have been granted when the agent passes away. Have you shown "them" your husband's death certificate?

This is stupid, but, if you are determined to refinance with "them," type up a document saying that you revoke the POA granted to your deceased husband. Otherwise, try other lenders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">