• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

power of atty use for spouse with credit card debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lennstrom14

What is the name of your state? new york
my husband has prostate cancer and other health issues which he also seems depressed but wont admit it ..over 27 years of marriage and we have 17 yr old son wih adhd...we have house that has a mortgage since 1999 ..prior house was in mothers name and owned outright no mortgage ...in 1999 husband had $40000 of credit card debt ..his elderly mother co-signed mortgage for $140,000....this was to pay back credit cards and pay bills ...2 years later he needed to refiance mortgage for more credit card debt $30000...basement is loaded with stuff duplicate purchases,etc ...he is obsessive compulsiive but in denial ...house was put into life estate and we had poa on his mother ..she passed in 2004 ...we have poa for each other ..in feb 2006 he used ira to pay off over 20000 of credit card debt ...he was free of credit card debt until aug 2006 ...now has 32,000 of credit card debt again due to balance tranfers and 0% offers...he has 70,000 in iras..he is 63 yrs old ..we paid down 5400 of 209000 mortgage and we have home equity loan of 29000 which i am paying ...i am on soc sec disability ...he plans to pay down credit cards again in 2007 ...i want to cut up credit cards and contact credit cards to stop sending offers to him ..can i do this with legal poa that was drawn up by our elder care atty ...wit his health issues i am worried that i will be held responsible for his credit cards if he does it again ..he owes on loans too he took on his whole life policies ...can i prevent him from closing them out and getting reduced cash value on them ...i want to ensure that the house is protected .. i have retirement $ in iras and cds but do not want to use it to pay off his debts ...we have had separate bank accounts since we got married 27 yrs ago ...will the poa allow me to handle his financials even though he still works and close out his credit cards after they are paid off so we dont use the last bit of his iras up ...pls advise...desperate....thanks ...also can i make public declaration that i am not going to be responsible for his credit card debts ...they are in his name only ...can i notify cards that he is sick and not to allow more credit to him ....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">