• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protect my mom's assets.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bgreen1960

What is the name of your state? OR

Hi, I'm tyring to get some general idea of the best way to protect my mom's assets.

She is over age 65, lives in Oregon. Receives Supplemental SSI in addition to her standard SSI and is on Medicare/Medicaid. She also lives in subsidized housing.

Her mother (my grandmother) passed away last year, and left some inheritance to my mom. The amount is about $18,000+. Also, before my grandmother pass away, my aunt was able to set up a Special Needs trust with some money from the proceeds of several bonds. My aunt is the trustee. The probate for my grandmother's estate was finally settled and the lawyer in Floridia was to disburse the funds from the will.

I have two questions. My mom is concerned about the ability to obtain funds from the special needs trust, since my Aunt lives in Florida. My mom also has not been able to find out how much in in the Special Needs trust, nor has she received a copy of the will.

My mom would like to have the 18,000+ disbursed to a trust for her children (me and my siblings) and would like to change the trustee for her Special Needs trust.

My mom has attempted to contact legal aid and call lawyers, but no one seems interested in taking her case.

Help?

pojo2

Let me guess she wants YOU to be the trustee, right?

My mom is concerned about the ability to obtain funds from the special needs trust, since my Aunt lives in Florida

Hogwash, this is 2006!

BlondiePB

My mom is concerned about the ability to obtain funds from the special needs trust, since my Aunt lives in Florida.
Geography is irrelevant. Sounds more like YOU are concerned about getting your hands on mom's money.
My mom also has not been able to find out how much in in the Special Needs trust, nor has she received a copy of the will.
Wills are public records.
My mom would like to have the 18,000+ disbursed to a trust for her children (me and my siblings) and would like to change the trustee for her Special Needs trust.
Too bad.
My mom has attempted to contact legal aid and call lawyers, but no one seems interested in taking her case.
That's because there is no case. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">