• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting Grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linda Littell

What is the name of your state? OH

My 91 year old grandmother has spent the last 5 years living out of a suitcase, between my Aunt's home in KY, to my mother's home here in OH. Every 1-3 mos. she would change locations, doctors etc. this was done after she had a stroke. My mother had legal Power of Attorney over her and took care of her bills,etc. by the end of Aug. my mother became ill. I kept Gran for 2 weeks, then transitioned her into a really nice Assisted Living community 3 min. from my house. Oct. 14th, my mother passed away.
My Grandmother has signed a health care, and durable power of attorney in my name. Now, my Uncle, who has never took a turn with her care or visited her in either location that much, has decided that he is "strapped for cash and can't get his hands on my Grandmother's money without having POA over her", and he want's her down in KY, closer to him so that he and his family can visit her more often.
My Grandmother was rated in the tiniest 1st level of demensia, when she first went in, but is now showing worst signs of demensia but she is showing signs of being happy and well cared for, although she often wants to go home, which is what she wanted to do the whole 5 years before this last move. My sister, myself and my one cousin want to see her get the best care possible, for the rest of her life. What do I need to prevent her from being moved to KY for the sake of her money?

lealea1005

I am sorry for the loss of your mother. Your grandmother is very lucky to have you as it is evident her health and well being is your priority.

You're off to a good start by having durable power of attorney for your grandmother. I would think that gives you the authority to chose where your grandmother lives, however I am not an attorney.

Stay tuned for the attorneys on this forum. Don't get discouraged if you don't hear fron them right away...remember it's the weekend.

I wish you the best of luck with this!

BlondiePB

What do I need to prevent her from being moved to KY for the sake of her money?
Though you have POA and legal authority, your uncle could have granny grant your uncle POA and revoke your POA, which would be illegal due to her dementia. By the time you could take care of this problem, uncle could do some serious damage that would cost dearly in legal fees. Petition for guardianship over granny and secure her and her assests.

Linda Littell

Protecting Granny

Thank you two who posted answers to my inquiry about trying to protect Granny. I appreciate your answers!
Linda

fedann

A Thought

After reading your story I wanted to convey my thoughts because I am seeking guardianship of my mother which is expensive 4,000-5500 for a contested guardianship. So if your uncle pursues this, which I would think guardianship would be the only avenue. If he meets with a lawyer to find out he would have to submit yearly financial reports to the court he will probably think twice. If you are doing a good job which is what it sounds like I wouldn't worry too much. GOOD LUCK

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">