• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Elderly Parents in own home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bevb

What is the name of your state? Idaho

My in-laws are currently living in their own home, and are in their 90's. Their health is starting to fail, but they are STUBBORN. They refuse to consider other options. They will not allow anyone but family to help with meals, cleaning, etc. By stubborn, I mean that they will chase off anyone that we send to help.

Money is not the issue.

They do not need health-related care yet, but that will come soon.

Under Idaho law, can we be held liable under the "Vulnerable Adult" statute if they come to harm while in their own home? (i.e., falls, lack of meals, etc.)

We are trying to meet their needs, but all the family members work, and we don't live in the same town.
Thanks!

BlondiePB

bevb said:
What is the name of your state? Idaho

My in-laws are currently living in their own home, and are in their 90's. Their health is starting to fail, but they are STUBBORN. They refuse to consider other options. They will not allow anyone but family to help with meals, cleaning, etc. By stubborn, I mean that they will chase off anyone that we send to help.

Money is not the issue.

They do not need health-related care yet, but that will come soon.

Under Idaho law, can we be held liable under the "Vulnerable Adult" statute if they come to harm while in their own home? (i.e., falls, lack of meals, etc.)

We are trying to meet their needs, but all the family members work, and we don't live in the same town.
Thanks!
Self-neglect is a form of elder abuse. Refusing services is a sign of incompetency. A lot of elders are afraid to have strangers in their homes, so they send them away. Have Adult Protective Services pay your parents a visit and come back here with an update.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">