• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Guardianship/Transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mickeyluvr

What is the name of your state? California
Hello my question is about guardianship. My mother-in law who was partially paralyized but able to live on her own had several smaller stokes in 2000 and at that time needed care in her home. My Brother in law and his wife offered to move in with her (in her house) and help care for her.
They sold there mobile home and proceeded to move in with her. Approximately 2 weeks after moving in with her they determined that they couldn't take care of her and proceeded to put her in a convalescent hospital. She had a very small amount of savings and owned the home she lived in.
My husband and his brother went to see a lawyer about the home. At this time the lawyer said that she could not sign the home over to them since she was determined to be incapabile (Alzheimers/ Dementia) of making this decision. That the only thing that could be done was to make one of them her guardian to protect her assets. My husband told his brother that he could do what needed to be done and be the guardian since he was older.
We never pushed the fact that they lived in the house (rent free) since his mother was still alive. In approximately 2002 they started doing major renovations to the house we found this to be very unusual since they were always strapped for money. I told my husband there is no way they could get a loan on the house unless it was in there name. My husband then went to the county and checked the tax records and found that his brother and wife had transferred the house into there name.
Then in September of 2003 his mother some how broke her hip in the conv. hospital and was taken to the hospital. During surgey she had a another stroke and passed away.
After all the funeral arrangements had been made my husband asked his brother what they were going to do about the house. His brother stated that it was in his name that he had transferred it long ago for bills she had. Needless to say she had none and had $9000.00 in an account to pay for incedentials while in the conv hopspital.
His brother informs him that he will put him on the deed and when both he and his wife die he will get the house. (Is told his kids don't want it anyways) I tell him not to do it his brother has filed for bankruptcy protection 2x before and there was no way to know what he borrowed against the house.
Between Sept 2003 and Now he has borrowed 2x from there father ($6000.00) to keep it from going into forclosesure.
We just found out that he sold the house at the end of 2005 for $285,000.00 and have since moved back into a mobile home park about 3 months ago and have yet to pay back his father. This house was to be there inheritance from there mother is there anything legally that can be done.

Last edited:

BlondiePB

mickeyluvr, please edit your post and put in paragraphs. One long post is too hard to read.

Was guardianship/conservatorship ever established via the court for your MIL?

mickeyluvr

Guardianship

When they first went down about the guardianship the saw a legal clerk and filed the papers through a service. As far as if he went to court after they filed those papers. Of course we were never informed of any court dates that took place.

mickeyluvr

POA and Guardianship

I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me where I might go to see how my brother-in-law was able to have house transferred into his and his wifes name without his mothers signature. Are these court records and are the availiable to be seen. This is just real frustrating.
When she was in the conv. hospital Medicare was paying the bills. I just wonder how he was able to transfer the house and not have them come back about the bills she had from the hospital.
Just would like a spot to start searching if anyone can help .
Thanks

BlondiePB

I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me where I might go to see how my brother-in-law was able to have house transferred into his and his wifes name without his mothers signature. Are these court records and are the availiable to be seen.
Yes. Also check with the Probate Division of the court house to determine whether or not guardianship/conservatorship was established.
When she was in the conv. hospital Medicare was paying the bills. I just wonder how he was able to transfer the house and not have them come back about the bills she had from the hospital.

Just would like a spot to start searching if anyone can help .
Start with the courthouse. Not all records are available on-line, so go there.
You're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">