• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about "responsible party" contract at nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shademorgis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
My brother recently died and sincs he was my moms cargiver, my mom couldn't live by herself. My other two siblings live far away. Both are sick, one has cancer, the other kidney and heart problems. My daughter, whom my mom signed her property (land) over to 3 years ago, said she couldn't take my mom in. APS took my mom and she was in a sr. care hospital for a month. They were going to release my mom, so I became involved in finding a residential care my mom could afford, so my daughter woudn't lose the land. Then my mom fell (she is 83) at the residential. I told my daughter her grandma might need a nursing home. DHS would not approve medicaid because of the land not being in my daughters name long enough. My daughter said she could get a loan, so her, her husband and I took my mom to the nursing home. A couple of weeks later my daughter said she couldn't get the loan. My husband and I went to take my mom out of the nursing home. The administrator said they could "eat" the 12,000 cost by just accepting my moms ss checks for 90 days, until medicaid could be approved. They even called DHS and told them this. But I had to sign a form stating all that and sign as the responsible party. The next day I made my daughter go sign one as well, since she has my moms land. Now my daughters husband is angry and the nursing home won't give me my signed form. They have both mine and my daughters. My mom never gave me anything and was rude to my other children, but was trying to help with her situation. My question is-If medicaid is not approved for some reason, am I liable for the bill? I've told them if it comes to that, they need to sell the land my mother gave my daughter 3 years ago. Who is liable, me or my daughter? Thanks

JETX

Who is liable, me or my daughter?
Since they have signed 'responsible party' forms from BOTH of you and unless the form specifically voids any previous forms by others, you are BOTH liable. They can come after either, or both, if they have to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">