• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relatives want my personal info fast. Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joyouswonders

I am in Michigan.

My sister called me asking for my name, address and SSN for my uncle who is preparing his will as he is ill. He was the executor of his mothers estate when she passed.

My sister said something was wrong in grandmas will or how it was carried out (something about rights of survivorship)and now for uncles will the family needs my personal info.

I have not seen many of these relatives since I was very young and am hesitant to give this sort of info to strangers. I also have not spoken to or seen my sister in a year so I am suspicious of this sudden call.

I was not mentioned in grandmas will as my mother is still alive and was in the will so I feel I should not be needed.

My sister is rushing me for this info saying that auntie is rushing her as it needs to get to the lawyer fast as uncle is ill. I am always extra careful when being rushed.

Grandma died in 2002 in Florida but the will was likely made while living in Michigan. Uncle lives in Michigan. Maybe the Michigan lawyers do not like the way Florida interpreted the Michigan will?

I don't want to be the annoying relative and slow things down and make it cost more but...

Does this sound legit to you?

LdiJ

I am in Michigan.

My sister called me asking for my name, address and SSN for my uncle who is preparing his will as he is ill. He was the executor of his mothers estate when she passed.

My sister said something was wrong in grandmas will or how it was carried out (something about rights of survivorship)and now for uncles will the family needs my personal info.

I have not seen many of these relatives since I was very young and am hesitant to give this sort of info to strangers. I also have not spoken to or seen my sister in a year so I am suspicious of this sudden call.

I was not mentioned in grandmas will as my mother is still alive and was in the will so I feel I should not be needed.

My sister is rushing me for this info saying that auntie is rushing her as it needs to get to the lawyer fast as uncle is ill. I am always extra careful when being rushed.

Grandma died in 2002 in Florida but the will was likely made while living in Michigan. Uncle lives in Michigan. Maybe the Michigan lawyers do not like the way Florida interpreted the Michigan will?

I don't want to be the annoying relative and slow things down and make it cost more but...

Does this sound legit to you?
Tell her that you are not comfortable providing the information and ask her for the attorneys telephone number. Then, you can call the attorney, find out exactly what the deal is and then decide if you want to provide the information. I can certainly tell you that it is NOT necessary to include someone's SSN in a will.

FlyingRon

I didn't need it for the will but when I was changing beneficiaries on some investment accounts they needed the SSN's of the beneficiaries.

LdiJ

I didn't need it for the will but when I was changing beneficiaries on some investment accounts they needed the SSN's of the beneficiaries.
That is why I suggested asking the attorney for more information. The sister stated that the attorney needed the information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">