• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Representative payee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candg918

What is the name of your state? OK

BlondiePB, you mentioned being a Representative Payee for Social Security to another poster. Please tell me if I need to do this as well.

My mother has dementia and is in a nursing home.

Long before she became disabled I was named the successor trustee of her trust, and I have a durable POA and health care POA. She resigned as trustee of her accounts several years ago. She retains signature authority on her accounts even though she does little more than write small gift checks to grandchildren. Her SS check has always been deposited in her checking account which is in the name of her living trust with me as both an authorized signer and trustee. I also have long standing signature authority on the other investment accounts associated with her living trust. Her monthly expenses exceed her SS income so I do not need to worry about investing any excess SS income. All of her bills are paid from her trust's checking and/or money market accounts. I will not be opening any new bank accounts in either her name or the name of her trust.

Do I need to become a Representative Payee for her?

I was an authorized user on the credit card used for her pharmacy and miscellaneous expenses. She lost the card she had in her possession so I am using her POA to close that account. I discovered that since I am an authorized user on her accounts, her accounts appear on my credit report. It then appears that I have more credit cards than I actually do use for myself. I do not want to close mine as my credit limit is far greater than my mother's and my accounts have all been open for a long time with a good record. I do want to remove my mother's accounts from my credit report.

If I do not use a credit card for her expenses, should I pay all of her expenses with checks from her checking account or can I keep her cash separate from mine and pay small bills from that?

Thanks.

BlondiePB

You're doing a good job as trustee; therefore, keep mom's SS going into the trust as she set up. You need a better trust attorney for your other issues and need to catch up on your accounting of the trust. Do not comingle your funds with mom's. Use her accounts for her expenses.

You'll need to deal with the credit bureaus about mom's credit cards being on your credit report. Others have asked about this in the banking & credit card section. Look in that section regarding specifics.

candg918

Thank you for your reply. I will look into the credit bureau forum.

I am very careful not to use my mother's funds to pay for anything but her expenses. It would be a little less expensive for her if I used my charge card that gives me a discount or our shopper card for her personal care items, but I have always felt that the savings was not worth the questions that might arise.

I am very frustrated with my experiences with estate/trust attorneys in my current hometown. My husband is close enough to retirement age that his retirement plan has a salaried financial consultant that has recently been assigned to us. I hope this man has some referrals - even if we have to go out-of-town to get it done correctly!

Thanks again for your assistance. These forums have been really informative. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">