• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requirements for Medicaid Eligibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My siblings and I have been taking turns caring for our elderly mother, whose physical and mental health have been deteriorating. Unfortunately, she will need more skilled care than we can provide soon, and has very little in assets. I believe she has around $2000 to spend down, and Social Security income of around $1500 per month. Due to her difficulty getting around, we have made purchases on her behalf and she has reimbursed us for groceries, gas for transporting her to the doctor, clothing, etc. Is this going to create a problem for her in obtaining Medicaid eligibility? We have kept the receipts for these expenses. I have been traveling to stay in her home and be her caretaker several times this year, staying a month or two each time. This saved the expense of paying someone to live in her home or put her in an assisted living home. Can she reimburse me the transportation costs of my flights to care for her? Is Medicaid even an option with her income? I know her income is not even close to enough to pay for nursing home care. Any advice would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">